Friday, July 15, 2011

B90D: Day 4

Owen's Assignment:  Genesis 40
Owen seemed really interested in this story.  He had lots of questions and read the entire chapter without a single complaint or distraction...probably because we read just before bed tonight and he was stretching it to the max!  He is pretty familiar with the life of Joseph, and I was blessed by our talk about the reading and the many ways God used Joseph to bless others. 

S:  "We both had dreams," they answered, "but there is no one to interpret them."  Then Joseph said to them, "Interpreting dreams is God's work.  Go ahead and tell me your dreams."  Genesis 40:8

O:  God gave Joseph the ability to do his work, and then he used that work to change Joseph's life.

A:  God (or the Holy Spirit) helps me to do God's work, too.  We can help others with the gifts He has given us just like Joseph helped others by interpreting dreams. 

P:  We prayed, giving thanks to God for the gifts He has given us and for the ways He will use us to help others.  We asked him to help us see when we can help others and to act upon it.
=======================================================================

Mom's Assignment:  Genesis 40:12-50:26

S:  "You intended to harm me, but God meant it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.  So then, don't be afraid.  I will provide for you and your children."  He reassured them and spoke kindly to them.  Genesis 50:20-21

O:  Joseph understood the big picture.  He was able to look past all of the hurt (and presumed bitterness), and see that God had used his circumstances for good.  I will admit that when I've been wounded, the thought of getting even has brought a smile to my face.  Now those of you who know me realize that I am probably the last person on earth to actually act on such thoughts, but there are times when the only relief for burning anger is the thought of revenge.  I imagine that Joseph had thoughts similar to this at one time as well.  Yet, when he was faced with the opportunity to even the score, he not only resisted, he took a giant leap in the opposite direction.  He was exceedingly generous with his brothers, making sure their every need was met, and even being KIND to them!  If only I could be so gracious!


A:  Look for God at work in every situation.  Focus on the positive outcome instead of the negative events that transpired on the journey to my destination.  Ask God to heal the hurt, and help me forgive.

P:  Heavenly Father,  Thank your for being a God who forgives.  Your mercy and grace astound me.  I long to have the heart for forgiveness that you possess.  Please remove past grudges and help me to take on new offenses with a heart of compassion and kindness, and to walk in the freedom of forgiveness.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment