Wednesday, July 13, 2011

B90D: Day 2

Owen's Assignment:  Genesis 17
I have to say I was a little nervous when I realized the subject matter of these verses.  I wasn't planning to have the circumcision talk with my 5 yr old today!  Thankfully, he didn't ask too many questions about it, and instead seemed to be more focused on God's promise than on what He required of Abraham and his descendants.   If only we could all be that way! 

S:  "Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call  him Isaac.  I will establish my covenant for his descendants after him."  Genesis 17:19

O:  God has promises for us, but wants us to do our part too.

A:  Remember God's promises and obey him.

P:  He said a prayer thanking God for his promises, and asking God to help him obey.

=============================================================

Mom's Assignment:  Genesis 17-28:19

S:  "Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?'  Is anything too hard for the Lord?  I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son."  Genesis 18:13-14

O:  Sarah found God's promise to give her a child too outlandish to believe.  It was comical; she actually laughed...at God.  (yikes) But, I can't say I really blame her.  She was 90 years old afterall!  I mean, what are the odds?  But what Sarah didn't understand is that with God, the odds don't matter.  Scripture shows us time and time again that God is faithful.  He keeps his promises.  This verse really got me thinking:  how many times have I dismissed one of God's promises?  How many times have I told myself that a particular promise doesn't apply to me?   Simply because, like Sarah, I cannot wrap my little human brain around what an infinitely big God can do. 

A:  Realize that God does not live, move or act with earthly limitations.  He is God of the universe, all-powerful and ever-faithful.  Stop doubting that He can do it, and BELIEVE that He will.  Because God CAN do anything...far more than we could ever imagine, guess, or request in our wildest dreams!  (Ephesians 3:20 MSG)

P:  Gracious God,  I praise you for your faithfulness. Thank you for being a God who keeps His promises.  In the midst of my doubts, help me with my unbelief.  Help me to see who you really are, to believe in your Word unfailingly, and to walk with confidence in your ability and desire to move in my world and in my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment