Friday, November 25, 2011

I Pinned It & I Did It: Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip

Yesterday was Thanksgiving.  We had a wonderful day at my sisters house with lots of immediate and extended family.  I was responsible for the green bean casserole, pumpkin bread and cranberry sauce.  Most of our family enjoys the gel from the can variety, but a few of us can't do without the real thing.  So I decided to use half a bag of cranberries to make a small dish of sauce.  With half a bag of cranberries left over, I set out to find a use for them.  



Of course, I headed straight for Pinterest and it did not disappoint.  I found a pin for Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip.  (link to the original source here)  It was super easy to assemble, and most importantly, everyone loved it!  I halved the recipe and it was more than plenty for 15 adults and a few kids to snack on before Thanksgiving dinner.  Also note, that even though many of the ingredients have a kick to them, this really was not a spicy dish at all.  The cranberries and sugar counteracted the heat nicely.  I will definitely be making this again soon.  




Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip
Time: 15 minutes prep + 4 hours refrigeration
Yield: 15 servings
Recipe adapted from Heather Peterson

1  12 oz package fresh cranberries, chopped
1/4 C green onion, chopped
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/4 C sugar
1/4 t cumin
2 T lemon juice
dash salt
2  8 oz packages cream cheese
1. Put your cranberries in a food processor or mini chopper.  You could also, just chop them up.  
2.  Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the cream cheese.   Refrigerate at least 4 hours.   

3.  Spread softened cream cheese onto platter.
4.  Top evenly with cranberry mixture.
5.  Serve with Wheat Thins, Ritz Crackers or Tortilla Chips.
  
**Remember I halved this recipe.  It served 15 of us and I still have some leftover!   

No comments:

Post a Comment